Motto: Attende et vigila - Be alert and on guard.
Like 185 squadron, No. 283 was initially based here during the war. It was originally formed at Algiers on 11 February 1943, operating Walrus amphibian aircraft.
It relocated to Hal-Far, Malta, in April 1944, this time equipped with Warwicks, flying on both anti-submarine and air-sea rescue patrols.
Detachments were dispatched to Italy, Greece and Libya during October, whilst in January 1945, a detachment went to the Crimea, to provide an air-sea rescue cover for aircraft on their way to the Yalta Conference.
No. 283 remained in Malta until disbanded on 31 March 1946.